The Code of Virginia §63.2-300 states, “there shall be a local Board of Social Services (LBSS) in each county and city” in the Commonwealth. The Richmond County Department of Social Services Board of Directors is a seven member administrative board. Officers are: chair, vice chair and secretary. For administrative boards, the local director shall act as secretary, without voting powers.
The Local Board consists of residents of the county where the LBSS is located. Members are generally a diverse cross section of the population and each brings his or her own experiences to the Board. They are responsible to the community and are expected to represent the general population. Board members may serve another Board member’s unexpired term and a maximum of two four-year terms.
The Board has the duty to and shall interest itself in all social service related matters needed by its citizens and served by the local agency. All Board members are subject to confidentiality guidelines.
Duties and responsibilities of the RCDSS Local Board include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for administering the provisions of Code 63.2
- May appoint a member of the Board of Supervisors to be a member of the Local Board
- Makes local agency policy decisions - sets the standards, reviews them and revises them as needed
- Has discretionary power of requests for local funding
- Prepares and submits the annual budget to the local governing body and submits required reports to state and local officials
- Reviews programmatic and local personnel performance
- Appoints the Local Director (unless otherwise specified by local government) and assures that performance standards are met by the Local Director and staff
- May employ legal counsel in civil matters
- Shall provide all Child Welfare services required by Code 63.2-319